The birth control pill is an easy-to-use, affordable way to avoid pregnancy. But are there any risks?
Many women do have symptoms, such as loss of sex drive or weight gain, but beyond that, most women don't know much about the health-related side effects.
In this interview, Andrea Thorpe, LAc opens the lid on the topic of the possible effects of long-term birth control use. Many women are on birth control pills for 10-15 years, and the long-term effects are something to be considered:
- Synthetic estrogen dysregulates the thyroid
- Birth control pill casues nutrient depletion
- Hormone receptor site have a downregulated response
- Toxic burden on the system of long-term medication use
- Toxic/ inflammed state and nutrient depletion affects the gut and immune system
- Autoimmune disease Hashimoto's thyroiditis then becomes a possiblity
- Ovulation and fertility are often delayed after birth control use
Andrea also covers some of the healing options such as:
- How acupuncture benefits the system
- Why Andrea prefers foods over supplements
- When it's time to see a functional medicine practitioner
Andrea is an amazing practitioner, and if you can see her in the LA area, I highly recommend her. Her clinic: http://lotuscenter.com/
Are you subscribed to the show yet? You can get our weekly expert interviews delivered to your smartphone through iTunes or most Android podcast players. Please search 'womens wellness radio' and get subscribed!
Was this episode helpful for you? We would be most thankful to have you write us a review on iTunes as well. Thanks!