Hormone imbalance can rear its ugly head in myriad ways: fatigue, moodiness, cramps, bloating, headaches and more.
There are some ‘hormone helpers’ available to you that cost just pennies per use and can shift things quickly.
I’m talking about essential oils and there are many of them, but today I’ll deep dive on just three so you can start building your oils knowledge to help yourself. These three oils are all personal favorites of mine that I use weekly!
1. Ylang-ylang (Cananga odorata)
When you are under stress and your hormones don’t seem to be supporting you, returning to a feeling of nourished feminity is key! Ylang ylang helps with mood and beauty and leaves you feeling like your best self.
- The intoxicating smell of ylang-ylang is super relaxing and makes me feel like a queen! It helps me feel restored and sensuous at the end of the day, and ready for sleep. I usually use it after bathing as a body oil.
- If you suffer from hormonal mood swings, either anger or depression, ylang-ylang can help smooth out the bumps in your monthly roller coaster.
- Ylang ylang has traditionally been used as an aphrodisiac. Most of our clients report their sex drive as low, so this oil can help you get in that relaxed and ready mood.
- It is also fantastic for skin and hair. For skin, it is soothing and nourishing and supports aging or irritated skin. Shake a drop into your hand and apply with your moisturizer.
- For hair, it is so smoothing, and I’ve been experimenting with using it in a homemade leave-in conditioner for the ends of my hair. Or shake several drops into your conditioner bottle and mix well.
2. Basil (Ocimum basilicum)
Basil is an oil I’ve been using a long, long time on my acupuncturist clients when I was giving a localized massage. I learned basil to be a muscle relaxant, and I stayed dedicated to using this oil. People always loved it and tried to identify the scent.
I think I must have also enjoyed the benefits of basil, which is why I stuck with it! Since giving up my acupuncture practice last summer, I got away from basil. But we recently reunited and I am in love again!
- The scent of basil is very calming. It helps relieve chronic stress and promotes restful sleep. As chronic stress is often what is robbing our hormones, managing stress is key! Basil is supportive of your adrenal glands.
- As I mentioned earlier, it’s a muscle relaxant, so it’s useful for menstrual cramps or restless leg syndrome.
- Yes, you can also use it for cooking! Add a couple drops to your pasta sauce before serving.
3. Peppermint (Mentha piperita)
Peppermint oil sounds too simple to be very powerful, but it is! Many of the symptoms that arise during hormonal changes can be relieved with peppermint.
- Create a mist of water and few drops of peppermint oil to get relief during a hot flash. (Ratio is about 1 drop per teaspoon of water. Shake well before spraying.)
- Use to help for headaches during your period or at the end of long day. (Dilute in carrier oil and rub on neck, shoulders, temples.)
- Use during your work day to increase energy and improve your focus. (Peppermint actually increases circulation to the brain.)
- And, my favorite use, use on your scalp to improve hair growth and prevent hair loss. (Shake into shampoo bottle or create a spray with water and keep in the shower.)
- It’s also great to have on hand for an upset stomach or to freshen your breath.
To learn more about the incredible power of essential oils for women's health, join us for an educational email series by filling out this form or visit our essential oils page.
Throughout the month of April 2018, doTERRA will give you back $50 in credit when you become a new member at the $100 level. It’s a great deal and a chance to spoil yourself with a few more decadent oils.