I had a great conversation on the podcast with Dr. Jolene Brighten, ND about thyroid conditions, and how they effect our fertility, our baby's health and our own post-partum health.
I would say that we speak the most on the subject of post-partum, as it's a subject close to my own heart, as well as Jolene's, who discovered well past childbirth that she had post-partum autoimmune thyroiditis.
One thing I think is important to understand deeply is that our reproductive stages are linked, and minding this continuum is critical to our health as we try to conceive, carry a child, and then support a new baby.
Dr. Brighten talks about:
- Why and which thyroid markers to test pre-conception
- How an untreated thyroid condition can lead to miscarriage and developmental deficits
- Why it's important to test thyroid markers in weeks 6-12 of pregnancy if you are autoimmune thyroid
- Why changes in our immune system potentiate thyroid imbalance after childbirth
- Which underlaying factors to consider of you have autoimmune thyroid
- Why getting support is needed for post-partum health complaints
If you are an autoimmune mom, a mom suffering with post-partum symptoms, a woman diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis, or someone curious about thyroid disorders (which are highly on the rise in women,) I think you'll benefit from the info-packed interview with Dr. Brighten.
Use this link to find the show on iTunes. It can be found on most podcast players by searching Women's Wellness Radio.